We just got back from All-Vol, and it was as awesome as we could have hoped. However, the website for Bazaleti Lake (the hotel complex we were at) had made some promises that it did, in fact, not fulfill. We were disappointed to not have had:
1) "The casino will also function, where the lovers of the hazardous time spending will be given a chance of all kinds" - there was, in fact, no casino, despite the fact that both Carissa and I are lovers of the hazardous time. It was disappointing.
2) "concerts, and mini-strip-tease." I'm still not quite sure what a 'mini strip tease' is, but I think that it has something to do with removing varnish from small end tables, while mocking the craftsperson who created said table for poor workmanship. And there were no concerts.
3) While we did not go into Bazaleti Lake, given that it was about 45 degrees, we were both convinced that should I have had 'gynecological' problems, the water would have quickly cured them. And any cancer I might have. And AIDS. Can't forget that. The water is that good.
4) "Hot and soft drinks will be sold at the territory of the complex." This angers me, because I enjoy my beverages hot and unyielding. I demand performance-enhancing beverages. Beverages that make it difficult to pass through an airport metal detector. Perhaps hot and spiky, or hot and fibrous. But hot and soft? Please. That's a beverage for 'girly men.' (big ups to the governator, as everyone here knows and loves Arnold).
The conference was wonderful, and it was a nice time to connect to other volunteers we hadn't had a chance to get to know yet. The sessions were productive and some good information was passed on.
We also had thanksgiving dinner, which was awesome; my friend Jeff and I (with assistance from the capable Carissa) created fried rice. I also bought a half liter of soy sauce back from goodwill, so I intend to make it again here at site. The turkey, pies, gravy, and random deliciousness was quite nice. The ambassador to Georgia also came - every time I meet him and his wife, I'm impressed. This is the 3rd PC event he's either hosted or attended, and I really appreciated him being there and taking the time to talk with volunteers.
And, as a corollary, every time he's at a PC event, I get to play a fun game: Guess who will suck up to him the most. Several others play with me. It never gets old.
One more quick comment: I'm thoroughly convinced that my Georgian is even more ridiculous than the Bazaleti lake website english. To be fair though, last night Carissa claimed that "my husband works in Aspindza" which is technically untrue. However, the pronoun switch was awfully funny, given that she was attempting to say "HER husband works in Aspindza." I do this kind of mistake all the time, and I'm convinced that I offer a unique levity to the office as I charge about declaring "yesterday office was me the working to be done."
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The pro-nouns are tricky things. Hey, I heard that you got the box we sent, is that correct?
Yep! We'll get all of them tomorrow when the PC comes out to our site.
Post a Comment