After week 3, you start to miss the simple things. Like coffee that comes from the suitable application of hot water to ground up beans, and hopefully removing the ground-up beans from the final results.
This, however, is Georgia. That is not done here.
What is done, instead, is perhaps the best instant coffee ever made. Seriously. This stuff is *awesome*. That being said, it never, ever, ever, ever, will replicate properly the taste of espresso. Several people inour group have said that they would beat their mothers with a shovel for a decent espresso [quick note: I do not condone mother-beating - but this is journalism, you report the way things are]. There's a 'coffee-house' in town, but its just a vicious lie - you can't actually buy coffee there. Awesome pizza, sure; decent baked goods, of course; coffee, no way. It's like a building with a sign on it that says "Bank" that actually is a dry cleaner. Money is involved, but they look at you wierd when you want to get access to an ATM.
Apparently, last week, the first actual coffeebar opened in Georgia. Last week. Seriously. And you people said I would be in the 'posh corps.' Myanmar has better Italian style coffee. And the really wierd thing is that Georgians LOVE italy. I don't get it...
BTW, we have occassional access to skype! If you've got a skype screenname email or put it in the comments - we'd love to keep in touch that way. Mom and Dad - you are NEVER on! Sign in occassionally....
Love you all!
brenden
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Last week? You should forward a letter to Starbucks, they've obviously missing a franchise opportunity.
I forget which my skype username is, but either garrettn or profgarrett should find me or Corrie. I usually leave skype running on my work computer during the day, so if you're up at 2am pucking we can always have a nice conversation.
Corrie, Silas, and I are visiting with Mom & Dad today. Silas is taking a nap in the middle of the living room floor (don't worry, the nap will be televised on picasa/xanga), Dad's at the office, and Mom is figuring out ways to donate the Alliance to charity. Evidently, the call's already been made. Let the weeping and wailing ensue. But then, we're Garretts, irrational emotional attachments to objects that don't deserve such love are just part of the genes. I can only hope that one day, I'll be able to let go of the Yaris with something like dignity.
-NDG
Happy 4th. I hope the party had some familiarities of home. So will the Olympics in Sochi, Russia have any impact on Georgia. It now might be a reason to go to see it before the Olympic hoopla.
Yeah, does seem like the 'posh' Corps to me either. The ability to skype though...way different than our experience.
I was just catching up on your blogs. I love hearing about your experiences... I'm impressed that you've covered sickness, wild dogs, and espresso. ;)
Jon and I just had a vacation in San Diego last week, and it was wonderful! It actually felt normal to be there after 2 years away, which we thought was probably strange. :) I'm sorry that we missed you two! We would've loved to hang out. It's fun to think of you off on an exciting adventure though. We're just back in Kansas now, working on grad school stuff even during the summer... at least we've got good coffee. ;)
When we visit, will I have to be on the alert for anyone wielding a shovel???
Concerning Skype: I am still in the midst of changing over to a laptop for my primary computer, so was late in getting negligent in getting Skype up and running. It's up now and I promise to have it running. I'd LOVE to chat with you,
Mom, aka msclmom
Post a Comment