There are some days where I'm just really glad to be in Georgia. To begin with, fall is absolutely stunning here - I can't even describe how much I love it. The weather is crisp, the air clean, and the colors are absolutely stunning.
Yesterday, I drove out to Zarzma monastery (second monastery in as many weeks). It's about a hour and a half from my home here, and I can't even describe how stunning the foliage is here. Incredible shades of red and yellow, delicate orange - hillsides look like they're on fire. The drive was just spectacular. I spent most of it (when I wasn't desperately trying to cram for my Georgian tutorial session last night) staring out the windows, just mesmerized. Coming from San Diego, home of no-season (or two, wet and dry) actually having a fall is wonderful. I'm pretty sure my view of the seasons will take a distinct lack of enthusiasm, come mid-January, but that's the price you pay for stunning vistas.
Zarzma itself was amazing. I've been to some wonderful churches, but this one just took my breath away inside. Originally built in the 4th century, it was rebuilt in the 14th and 16th centuries after being sacked by one of Georgia's many, many invaders. It was abandoned in the mid-18th century, and reopened about 50 years ago. Inside, there are AMAZING frescoes; it was incredibly moving. Scaffolding was up as they are rehabilitating the site, but you could still pretty easily see the paintings. Beautiful! However, I have now decided that if I ever actually find someone carving their name into the wall of church, I'm not responsible for what happens.
Graffiti from several centuries (I found some from the 1840s) covered some of the walls. You really have to wonder who looks at a fresco of Jesus ascending to heaven and thinks, "You know what this really needs? My name!" or something similar. I just truly don't understand, and it breaks my heart.
CHF is helping to support a guesthouse - so if you want to visit, there's room for you. :-)
On a totally different note, I've started yet another blog (because I'm incredibly bright and have ample free time!) at brendenpg.blogspot.com - check it out if you have time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your drive sounds just lovely.... I hope you took a few photos. We have been watching "Location Georgia" on CNBC, and the vistas of the country are truly beautiful. This last Sunday, they were in the wine country north of Tbilisi. I would love to come and visit someday.
Mom
I hear you about seasons, Brenden! I went walking for over two hours today, just to see the leaves and feel the sunshine. It was so beautiful. Hopefully the memory of this season will keep me warm this winter. :c)
Rachel
Post a Comment