But I do have some pictures from our cooking adventures on Saturday. On Saturday, Brenden made curry and I made brownies (using the mix package and spices sent by Brenden's mom), and both turned out fabulously, although I think the curry was a bit spicy for our family's taste (Georgian food is not normally spicy). Our friend/almost-sitemate Josh came over and we had a good time just hanging out, eating some definitely NOT Georgian food and relaxing. Vakho, our host brother, also helped Brenden by crushing some spices for him, which is really interesting, because the male sex is never in the kitchen in Georgian culture, and boys are used to just having stuff done for them (for example, the other day, 11-year-old Vakho wanted butter on his bread, so Inga, our host mom, buttered it for him). I also have a fun picture of Brenden with the brownies (Brenden needed milk for his curry, so we also had some milk with our brownies, which was the first milk we've had in Georgia; with cows everywhere, you'd think it would be more common, but people here don't drink it).
This week, my school starts heating the school and also school now begins at 9:30, which will continue throughout the winter. Our lessons were 45 minutes with a 5 minute break, but now they will be 43 minutes with a 2 minute break. I think this really means that our lessons will begin even later, since students often don't show up on time, even with a 5 minute break (on the other hand, they usually go out into the yard, and there will probably be less of that during the winter because it's so cold, balanced out, of course, by the students who just won't even come because of the cold).
Today, because of the snow (and because it is still a few degrees below freezing), I decided I was justified in wearing long underwear on the bottom and the top (I've been wearing long underwear on top ever since the first cold snap, and tights usually under my pants, but not the long underwear proper). Brenden and I have agreed we're going to try to hold off on turning on our electric heater until December, but we agreed if it stays a few degrees below freezing for more than 3 hours (or when I get home from school), we can turn it on. Our family is using a small electric heater in the living room now, but I think in a month or so, when it gets even colder, they will install a petchi (a wood heater) in the kitchen area.

3 comments:
Oh yummy, brownies and curry! Hopefully not at the same time. :) And interesting to note that milk isn't a common drink there, since here it's the staple with kids for dinner (Well, for my family at least). :) Nice to know that packages really do reach you!
Wow, scary picture of Brenden.
The photo of the kitchen and your host-brother was very nice.
But, Brenden looks rather deranged. Perhaps that's why the Georgians don't drink milk! ;-)
Post a Comment