The last update was from Brenden and apparerently, we think alike because I was thinking it was time to send y'all out a quick update also. Last weekend (not yesterday, the weekend before) Brenden and I went to Tbilisi for our one free weekend in September, and we hung out with a bunch of PCVs also in Tbilisi. We ate really great American pizza, had amazing crepes at a Russian restaurant, and I ate a fantasic egg sandwich. Which got me to thinking...the egg sandwich I can probably duplicate at home, so I might be having that again sometime soon. ;) Oh, and we discovered about 2 blocks from the hotel (which is about 3 blocks from the PC office), there is a fantastic store called the Continental with all sorts of imported delights. I bought chocolate chip cookies that (reasonably) approximated Chips Ahoy-style cookies. Either this afternoon or Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to try to make real homemade-style chocolate chip cookies, a challenge in a country without chocolate chips and brown sugar. Anyway, we didn't really do anything cultural at all, just hung out, relaxed, and spoke English. It was wonderful. :) And it was good we went that weekend, instead of the weekend we just finished, because we were banned from going to Tbilisi due to the political situation that Brenden outlined. The bottom line is--it should all blow over, and we're far enough away from Tbilisi that I'm not worried, anyway.
This is the 3rd week of school and I have my schedule. So I will post below breaks in my schedule where I might possibly be on Gmail Chat, for those of you who, a) have Gmail and b) have Chat enabled. I'll post them first in PST, then in Georgian time (keep in mind that these times will change once the U.S. ends DST, and then Georgia will be 12 hours ahead of PST, rather than 11, since Georgia doesn't have DST).
Sunday 10:45pm-3am PST (Monday 9:45am-2pm; I don't have class on Mondays)
Monday 10:50-11:30pm, 1:30-2:05am PST (Tuesday 9:50-10:30am, 12:30-1:05pm)
Tuesday 11:40pm-1:15am PST (Wednesday 10:40am-12:15pm)
Wednesday 10:50-11:30pm, 12:35-1:15am PST (Thursday 9:50-10:30am, 11:35am-12:15pm)
Thursday 10:50am-12:30pm PST (Friday 9:50-11:30am)
If you want to call us, late afternoon/evening is the best time (say, 5-10pm Georgia time, or 4-9am PST, 7am-12pm EST) - (to reach both of us, call after 6pm Georgia time). For international calling, my parents have been using nobelcom.net; they seem to have the best rates and their service seems relatively dependable.
It's too early to tell a lot of things about my school, except to say that I know it will be a challenge. That's what I signed up for, though, so let the games begin. :) [Mom, if you're reading this, I wonder how similar your classroom experience in Nigeria will be to mine]
If you want to receive a postcard from Georgia (and I will warn you now that the only postcards I can buy at my local post office are from the glory days of the Soviets; Georgia is much prettier than the postcard will show you), please email me your address and I'd be happy to send one. :)
Until next time,
Carissa
Monday, October 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hmn, I've been leaving my gmail open all day at work, but haven't seen you come online. Hope all is well...
Sorry, Nathan. My Internet goes through good and bad cyles...sometimes it's just as fast as our cable Internet was in the U.S. and sometimes it's very slow. So, if you're referring to what was Wed for me, I wasn't there at all, because we had a PC meeting at the police chief, hospital, and with our Country Director. If, however, you're referring to Thurs, my Internet was just slow and it wouldn't load the Gmail Chat properly. :(
Post a Comment