Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Even more randomness!

I thought I should start writing down the things that didn't make sense to me when I first got to Georgia, then began to appear normal. There is no order to this list (again, guess who posted this one...)

1. Standing by the side of the road attempting to flag down passing transportation. At first, this sounded like a combination of psychotic and insane, with a thrilling hint of danger thrown in. Now, it sounds like the easy way to get around the country. I still prefer to catch the bus/marshutka at the station, but it actually is normal to just wander out to the main highway and hope that something passes going in the same direction you are. Awesome!

2. Realizing that clear liquids in small water bottles are dangerous. To be fair, that is only if they are offered by a Georgian, and the bottle is roughly half-empty. When you are expecting a frosty and delicious gulp of water, it is somewhat shocking to discover that instead you have taken an enormous mouthful of 140 ~ 160 proof alcohol, distilled from who-knows-what. Oddly enough, it is considered impolite to immediately spit it out. Who knew? There is a lesson you learn quickly: Clear beverages = small initial taste. SMALL. It might be fruit juice, it might be water, it might be an industrial solvent moonlighting as an intoxicant. You never know.

3. Tomatoes and cucumbers with every meal - EVERY meal. The entire time I've been in Georgia, I think I have had a combined total of 4 or 5 meals without this essential element. At first I thought it was odd. Now? If I don't have them, I miss them. Cucumbers and tomatoes are a solid foundation for ANY meal. I don't care what time of day it is! When I get back to the states, this is one tradition I intend to keep going.

4. Sitting in a cafe and being strongly encouraged to join a supra "in progress" at another table. Georgians are incredibly hospitable, and that extends to public dining. It is no longer odd for some random Georgian to walk up and invite us back to their table. Now, that kind of openness is rather refreshing.

5. Stopping on the side of the road to pick fruit while en route to a meeting. Perhaps people outside of California do this, but not where I came from... here, it's perfectly normal to be driving somewhere and see a fruit tree / bush that's full of fruit, stop the car, collect a bunch, and then keep going, with a fresh and delicious snack on board. Orchards are obvious no-goes, but there are many, many trees that are just sitting on the side of the road. That, and not washing fruit - that one I have trouble getting over.

I'm sure there are more... these are mostly the superficial ones. C and I have relatively acculturated - at least we know when we're being offensive now. The deeper cultural issues take more time to suss out, but I know there are some rather large ones lurking, especially in business contexts.

Lissa: Thanks for the offer! The things we tend to miss the most are pretty small... mainly food items. Here's my short list:
1) Mac and cheese sauce packets. There's plenty of pasta, but the sauce is one area where things don't quite translate.
2) Taco seasoning. The really basic stuff you get at the supermarket in the small envelope... good times. Quick side note: If you are at an Irish pub in Georgia, do not order the chips and salsa. You will be disappointed.
3) Oregano. It's the major herb that is not available here.
4) Any mixes or sauce bases are appreciated. Basically, anything that comes in an envelope with instructions on the back is a good call. :) Ethnic food especially - Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese...
5) This one is really reaching, but a small (one or two cup) french press. The coffee here is either Georgian (a derivative of turkish coffee, but not as sweet) or "khsnadi" or instant coffee. While both are good, a regular cup of coffee would be nice occasionally. Another side note: "khsnadi" is about as gross sounding a word as you can pronounce without laughing.
6) Any media - burned to a dvd if possible.
7) Goldfish or cheese nips... cheddar cheese is an impossible dream here, hence the craving for mac and cheese....

This goes for any of you looking to send things.... :-) And don't forget, we've already started shopping for christmas gifts for you all - if you get a water bottle from us, read number 2 again.

Mom, I think we're going to be able to get your package from the office either today or tomorrow - we're ecstatic about it. :-)

Much love to you all!

No comments: