Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I've been lazy. So sue me.

I've been lazy. I realized that since the evacuation, I haven't really written anything for the blog. A lot changed for us in the last few months, and I should probably make and effort to discuss at least some of it. Here's the rundown: Evacuated from Georgia, moved to San Diego, got a job, quit 4 weeks later (not as bad as it sounds; my employer knew I was leaving), moved to South Korea. Pretty simple, really...

Basically, at it's core, Korea is not Georgia. Huge shock to all of you, I know! I was surprised too... Life is incredibly easier than it was in Georgia.

Power.
Gas.
Hot water.
Convenience stores.
Walmart-ish stores.
ATMs.
Western restaurants, in my town, within walking distance.
Other foreigners in the same town.
Clearly defined job.
English speakers.

That being said, a bit of me does yearn for the simpler days of Peace Corps training. As awful as the experience is, they do a wonderful job preparing you to 'go solo' in the country. Here, we sort of just got dumped off the plane and made to fend for ourselves. The peace corps logistical support is FANTASTIC. The language training is especially good - and they make the whole process very easy. Here, we depend on the good graces of our recruiters, who, while doing a pretty serviceable job, don't work the same wonders that our Peace Corps staff did. It's a different way of being and a different way to experience the local culture.

On the one hand, we certainly have a tighter connection to our recruiter, but I feel as if some of that is coming at the expense of integration into the community. Because of the language barrier, integration is more difficult than it was in Georgia. At least in Georgia we had the baseline skills to start with; here, we're building to get to a baseline. It's all relative, of course, but it's a good experience.

That being said, I need to get to class. 6th grade isn't going to teach itself how to ask for help, now is it?

No comments: