Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cheese!

So, it turns out that making cheese is actually not easy. I know this now, with my curd-stained fingers typing the painful truth...

C and I went to Minadze on Sunday, and discovered that Josh had already added the rennet to the milk mixture, and that we didn't actually have any citric acid, which is necessary for mozzarella. This led to some difficulty. But, we did have 9 liters of warm milk, slowly curdling, so we did the best we could... And also discovered that you can use a handkerchief as a cheesecloth. It was reasonably clean. Don't you judge me!

We waited a few hours, tried to get it stretchy through the application of hot water, but pretty much failed. In the end, we went home empty handed, but hopeful for the next time. And the cheese itself pretty much didn't have any taste at all - it was really bland. Which I suppose is better than tasting like old socks...

I think Josh will end up eating the entire batch (about a kilo was produced) by himself. Ouch.

2 comments:

Nathan Garrett said...

Ah, sorry that your cheese didn't work out... Hopefully you'll get your pizza soon.

Rachel said...

Hat tip to the "My Name is Earl" reference. Isaac and I quote that line to each other all the time.